Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Estate Sale

We got our challenge coins today, shiny little bits of metal to commemorate the mission.  Something we will always be able to hold onto and say, "Yeah, I was there."

Al put it in perspective: "When they hold my estate sale there's going to be a shoe box full of this stuff and the bidding will start at two bucks. For the whole box."

Yeah. Think about that. Everyplace I try to take it brings up other things.  Mostly wise, few very comfortable.

But I get a sly smile thinking about a grandkid packing the box and saying, "Mom, what is this? Where the hell did grandpa get all this stuff?" And then sitting back and listening to stories, feeling the weight of the coins or the rings or the stones...


Anyway- Happy Father's day to those who have earned it. Love your kids today.
And Happy Solstice.  Enjoy a long, sweaty, healthy summer.

3 comments:

Kai Jones said...

It oughta be totebags. You can always use one, and it reminds you of your experience. I usually buy a totebag as a vacation souvenir. Then every time I grocery shop, I'm reminded of my vacations.

jks9199 said...

Totebags aren't cool!

Challenge coins... Fancy folding notebooks... flashlights... even pens... Those are cool.

Totebags? They ain't manly!

Unless they're stuffed with the above toys!

Unknown said...

I don't know. I always thought my grandfather's obscure pictures in weird locales with people I'd never met labeled WWI, or Texas, Poncho Villa, and stuff like that were interesting conversations starters...but then so was the ukeleili and the off key version of, "I left my heart in San Fransisco." ;D We remember what we remember. For a man of so much warrior skill, he grew absolutely beautiful gardens, and talked very softly.